I recently moved my email service to Zoho as the free email service offered by my hosting company (Inmotionhosting) had never been great: delays, failures of sending and sometimes even email loss. OK, it’s a free service so nothing to complain really but in order to have better reliability I had to enable email forwarding to my gmail account, annoying.
I wanted to have a reliable service with minimum cost. Searched a bit on market and surprisingly Gmail was not the cheapest: Microsoft’s “Exchange Online Plan 1” is cheaper than “G Suite Basic” with bigger storage, i.e. 50Gb vs 30Gb.
I liked G Suite but Zoho’s $1.46/user/month “MAIL LITE” was obviously a winner for me.
Moved to Zoho based on their instructions, emails went well but then I realised I lost my web site. I had domain registered with Crazydomain, web hosted by Inmotionhosting and email hosted by Zoho. When I changed name servers at Crazydomain to point to Zoho’s name servers, Inmotionhosting could not host my web page anymore. Gooogled solutions but there were a lot of articles that seemed conflicting with each other. Some saying adding MX at Crazydomain some saying change name servers.
At the end, the solution was logical: change at Crazydomain to point to Inmotionhosting (so that my website can be served) and then on Inmotionhosting, modify MX records to point to Zoho’s servers as shown below. 🙂